Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  November 5, 2015 11:00pm-12:01am PST

11:00 pm
junkie again represents a sea change in how we treat and talk about addiction. chiefs, thanks so much for show last night. it's not brain surgery. dr. carson ready to be president. let's play "hardball." good evening. can you say anything and still claim you will do no harm as president? can you say the founding fathers lack political experience when practically all of them were men with public records. can you say the pyramids weren't burial places? can you talk about getting your tax plan from the ancient hebrews?
11:01 pm
can you bring up noah's arc ark to argue. carson has highest net favorable ratings of any 2016 candidate. according to a new poll carson's net favorability is plus 21. that leads everyone by a mile. among republicans the net favorability is plus 59. he is 20 points ahead of his nearest republican rival. the chairman of the american conservative union. susan, you covered politics and on the front page. why are people saying at least they want this good doctor to be our next president? >> well, because republicans are very interested in an outsider. ben carson gives them an outsider who lacks kind of the bluster of donald trump. he also comes across as a very spiritual man, deeply religious.
11:02 pm
i think that is appealing to evangelicals. >> people are interested in an insider. he gives them an alternative to donald trump. >> i don't know what to say. so go on. i have no idea how to ask the question because i can't fathom the answer. i don't get it. is this some kind of strange american resort to basics because we are facing a world of fundamentalism and zealotry? they say when you are fighting a war you end up like your enemy. are we going back to basic simpletonism? it's too complicated. climate change too complicated. let's get to base truths. >> there has been an inclination to fetechise the outsider and the reference to the founders as
11:03 pm
being all outsiders with no public service experience which is not true. there is also a deeper irony which i covered state legislatures where they only serve part of the year and the biggest complaint almost to a man or woman is they didn't have enough time to make decisions to run a state let alone running a country and bragging about your lack of track record. it's a little weird and ironic. >> here is how carson responds to critics with questions of lack of experience. >> i love it when people come to me and say but, but, you have never been elected to any public office. you can't possibly know how to do anything. let me tell you something, the ark was built by amateurs. the titanic was built by professionals.
11:04 pm
>> how does that work? >> that is a great line. >> a great line. what's the point? >> biblical history. i know the story. we know the "titanic" sank. how does that argue that amateurs are better than experts. would you get in a built by amateurs or professionals? >> i don't have to tell you what he is doing is responding to the fact that republican voters in this primary season are not looking for issue papers but personal characteristics. >> where is the logic that the titanic went into an iceberg and somehow that is an argument against good ship building. >> is it fair that the republican voters are looking and they don't like everything they have seen. they like the idea of -- >> it's logic to the argue because some people have been blowing it and we should go to somebody who doesn't know what they are doing. >> you have to admit the -- >> i don't have to admit this.
11:05 pm
pick somebody unprepared. >> i'm telling you the electorate -- >> you are trying to tell you what they want. >> they are telling you what they want. they want somebody to take a two by four to washington, d.c. >> i don't see that with him. look at poll after poll. >> i see do no harm. a guy who is harmless, a nice fellow who speaks plainly and with some generosity in a way that makes you feel better listening to him. >> and recently asked ben carson if he would want to be a surgeon with no experience to operate on his brain. here is what he told usa's today capital download. >> said you wouldn't want a surgeon to operate on your brain if he had never done it before and had no experience in surgery. why would we want a president who never had experience in that area? >> and somebody who would ask a question like that clearly has no concept what they are talking about.
11:06 pm
they don't realize neuro surgery is more complex than politics. they are not close in terms of the things that are required in order to be able to do them. >> he is stepping down to an easier job. >> i don't doubt that brain surgery is a really tough job but being president is a really tough job in its own way and involves being commander in chief of the armed forces, leading the global economy. it's a tough job. >> what does it have to do with brain surgery? >> his view was if you can do brain surgery you can do being president which is not as hard. >> you're playing to this guy. you are acting like there is a logic to that. we have had people who have been engineers like herbert hoover who got it wrong. and i just don't see why anybody would say something completely different would be adequate to
11:07 pm
the president. it's about public leadership, about the ability to lead the people. getting through the civil war, getting us through the revolutionary war and the great depression. it takes incredible skill at leading people of millions. what does that have to do with brain surgery by yourself. >> so i think that is a legitimate argument and one that ben carson's opponents in the republican party and the democratic nominee would be making. >> not having experience is a problem. look at the president we have. he did not have experience going into this. >> who is this in. >> barack obama. >> are you arguing the advantages of complete lack of preparation? you are pandering. >> i'm putting your argument on its head. >> dr. carson put out a lengthy post on facebook last week.
11:08 pm
is facebook one of the things. these are somewhat scientific hitting back on critics who question lack of experience writing i have no political experience, every signer of the declaration of independence had no elected office experience. to set the record straight, dr. carson, all 56 signers were serving in the continental congress at the time. we found roughly 50 of them had served in elected positions before them. thomas jefferson served. john adams served in the massachusetts assembly. sam adams served in the massachusetts assembly. john hancock served in the boston assembly. we knew they took it seriously and all men at the time. just say blanket where does he get his information from? where does he get his information from? where does he get that information? >> he is wrong. he's wrong on these things. there is no question, but he is still speaking to the american people who say we think it is
11:09 pm
broken. >> you expect the sermon to be based on fact. he doesn't base stuff on fact. >> he delivers statements that are factually inaccurate or put downs. it was in the calm even keeled demeanor and wrapped in a language of fate that takes edge off. >> noah's ark. i didn't like the movie much. there is an ark. they can all reproduce afterwards and they accumulated the species we have today in those because if you don't believe in evolution. and that survived 40 days of flooding. that's a story. it's a story told to people in the old testament.
11:10 pm
what relevance is that to today except as story? it's not a fact. it's a story. >> certainly not a lot of relevance to running the united states. >> he is saying he uses that to argue that amateurs are better than professionals. >> i would point out that god in addition to giving noah the blueprint provided job specifications of the types of people you want to have, the carpenters building the arc. clearly he is using it as an argument, an appeal to evangelicals but a way to suggest that somehow his greatest weakness, the lack of experience in government which is a great weakness, is not going to be a pediment to him being president. >> there are many references where god picks someone orderinary to do something great.
11:11 pm
>> you don't go back to noah's ark to make the argument. >> i'm baffled. if you want to get -- sarcastic with me i can live with it. thank you. coming up, former president george h.w. bush says his son bush 43 was badly served by dick cheney and don rumsfeld and called rummy arrogant. this can't be helping jeb . remember this moment from the democratic debate? >> the american people are sick and tired of hearing about your damn e-mails. >> thank you, me, too. >> bernie sanders took the e-mail issue off the table but now he is second guessing that decision and taking the gloves off against hillary clinton. and president obama is stepping up his effort to close
11:12 pm
the prison at guantanamo bay. he wants to work with congress but not ruling out using executive authority to close gitmo once and for all. finally, let me finish with my bafflement at the appeal of dr. ben carson. this is "hardball," the place for politics. when a moment turns romantic why pause to take a pill? or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use is approved to treat both erectile dysfunction and the urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away
11:13 pm
for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a free 30-tablet trial. welcome back to "hardball." now to an update we brought you yesterday.
11:14 pm
this weekend's russian jetliner crash over the sinai. late today president obama told cbs radio that while we don't goknow yet what brought down the plane it is possible it was a bomb. earlier british prime minister david cameron said more likely than not a bomb was the cause of the crash. egypt and russia are calling that theory speculation still. andrea mitchell is here with the latest. >> you have david cameron standing next to the egyptian leader saying what he did. clearly british intelligence and i understand they have intercepts believe this is a bomb and believe it can be linked to isis and that is a game changer because they have never been involved with bomb making before. they have never attacked airliners before. we haven't had an attack of this nature against a commercial airline since 9/11.
11:15 pm
this is the worst aviation disaster if it is terrorism since 9/11. so this is a very serious deal. the tsa is looking at whether any kind of procedures have to be put in place. there are no planes that fly from the united states from sharm el sheikh or to sharm el sheikh from the u.s. >> they don't want to have another reaction. they are worried about more terrorism. he is certainly worried about domestic response. he doesn't want to get this wrong. clearly, we don't know for sure and there have been speculation before the twa crash, other crashes which initially people said were terror and they turned out not to be. >> could this reforge a relationship between russia and egypt? >> certainly, this would bring them together because there is an interest in shared intelligence.
11:16 pm
>> interesting. thank you very much. we are back with more "hardball" after this. [announcer] if the most challenging part of your day
11:17 pm
is the staying awake part... ( gunshot ) sleep train has your ticket to a better night's sleep. because when brands compete, you save during mattress price wars. save up to $400 on beautyrest and posturepedic. get interest-free financing until 2018 on tempur-pedic. plus, helpful advice from the sleep experts. but mattress price wars is ending soon at sleep train. ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
11:18 pm
welcome back to "hardball." revelations from george bush reveal the 41st president thinks of his son's leadership in the white house. in the new biography the 91-year-old bush criticized dick cheney and donald rumsfeld and blamed his on son for allowing cheney to gain too much power saying mr. cheney built his own empire and asserted too much hard line influence within george w. bush's white house. mr. rumsfeld he said was an arrogant fellow who could not see how others served the president badly saying the biggest mistake was letting cheney bring in his own defense department.
11:19 pm
he meant his son. the buck stops there he said. in response to his father's criticism george w. bush released this statement today. i am proud to have served with dick cheney and don rumsfeld. i was fortunate to have him by my side. led the pentagon and was an effective secretary of defense. i am grateful to both men for good ad voois, selfless service to the country. jeb bush said his father was just trying to change the narrative and went on to defend dick cheney. >> my brother is a big boy. his administration was shaped by his thinking, his reaction to the attack of 9/11. i think my dad, like a lot of people that love george want to try to create a different narrative perhaps just because that is natural to do. george would say this was under my watch.
11:20 pm
i was commander in chief. i was the leader and i accept personal responsibility for what happened both the good and the bad. i think that is the right way to look at it. as it relates to dick cheney he served my brother well as vice president and served my dad well as secretary of defense. >> time for the "hardball" round table. april ryans white house correspondent, john stanton, washington bureau chief for buzz feed. they did the cya jeb and his brother. basically the big story here is the book coming out where the old man, former president basically said these guys blew it. cheney was a hawk and took us into a stupid war and jeb saying he was operating from the mindset of 9/11. >> daddy bush was right. i was there all eight years of george w. bush.
11:21 pm
his closest supporters, his closest advisers at that time, condoleeza rice, there was a fractured relationship particularly during the time with iraq and particularly with scooter libby and also with the gay marriage issue. so there was a fracture, a breaking off of sorts. it was george w. bush against cheney and rumsfeld. you had colon powell -- >> why didn't they break earlier? >> george w. bush is very loyal. >> why did we go to iraq and cheney had something to do with it. >> weapons of mass destruction never foubd and going on intelligence that was faulty. george w. bush -- >> used at the time and said so as a way to get europeans to join us. it wasn't the reason we went to iraq. used it as an argument. >> they used the emotion of 9/11 and went on with that.
11:22 pm
>> it's amazing the old man is talking. >> it's not surprising. >> we all knew what he thought. >> you look at the administration he was a different kind of person. he is much more old school republican. >> he was a realist. >> old line guy. so the fact that he believes this i don't think is shocking. the fact that he is doing it now is a little bit surprising given the timing. >> why do you think he is doing it? >> i think he is looking at his legacy a little bit. i also think he is trying to do things that his son, that jeb can't do. jeb can't attack his brother. that would not be a good look for him. no matt -- >> jim baker, the former president all thought it was a bad idea to go into iraq. now they are saying so. >> a lot of da democrats in congress thought it was a good idea. >> they went along with it and voted for it. >> what's your point? >> the point is it is all hind sight.
11:23 pm
everything is hind sight. 91 years old. >> many of us were highly skeptical. a lot of us didn't believe it had anything to do -- it was geopolitical. these people wanted to go after one country and another. they wanted to go to iran, libya. that was their plan. >> i posed it as a student which was not a popular position at brigham young university. it is public it was two different takes in terms of h.w. versus w. >> why do you think the father is talk sng. >> it could be to say that our family we are independent. this is what jeb has been saying all the time. i am my own man. this is illustrative of that. >> here is how bush 41 describes how dick cheney changed his son's administration. he became very hard lined and different from the dick cheney i knew and worked with. his seeming knuckling under to
11:24 pm
the real hard-charging guys who want to fight about everything, use force to get our way in the middle east. and here is cheney reacting to that today on fox. >> we smile about it. we laugh about it. same with my daughter. my family was not conspiring to turn me into a tougher, more hard-nosed individual. i got there all by myself. >> here is what cheney told fox about bush 41's comment that cheney is quote an iron-ass. >> i took it as a mark of pride. over 100,000 people dead because of that mark of pride. rumsfeld quote bush 41 is getting up in years and misgujs bush 43 who i found made his own decisions. what do you make of that? >> basically acknowledging that he did change from the first
11:25 pm
bush to the second bush. that is donald rumsfeld, never a guy who takes criticism very well and never been shy of being sort of nasty to people who criticize him. >> where is jeb between the old man and the kid? is he a hawk? is he a realist? >> i think jeb is trying to find -- >> there lieathize problem is that he has not articulated a strong vision of what he would do. he looks so back at his record as governor which is not a foreign policy record so we don't know what he would do going forward. >> he can't make a decision between his father and brother. >> jeb is going through this met morphsis. he has to figure it out very soon. >> roger once asked the question of ted kennedy why are you run frg president?
11:26 pm
it's a good place to start. the round table sticking with me. the gloves are off. bernie sanders goes on offense against hillary clinton. his is "hardball," the place for politics.
11:27 pm
11:28 pm
11:29 pm
here is what is happening. the american people are sick and tired of hearing about your damn e-mails. me, too. >> enough of e-mails. let's talk about real issues facing america. >> you can hear hillary clinton going me, too. that was bernie sanders at last month's democratic debate. earlier this week i asked sanders adviser if pulling back on e-mails was the best strategy.
11:30 pm
>> why didn't your guy jump on the e-mail thing? why did he give it away? why didn't he let it lie there and let the republicans and fbi do their thing? why did he pull it back out of action? >> i don't know if he gave her a break. >> sure he did. >> bernie sanders is convinced if we have a real debate on issues voters care about he will win the election. >> but now the vermont senator is sharpening attacks. the wall street journal's headline says bernie sanders takes the gloves off against hillary clinton. in an interview sanders was asked about clinton's e-mail saga and he said there is an investigation going on right now. i did not say end the investigation. that's silly. let the investigation proceed unimpeded. sanders also said clinton's inconsistent positions on issues like the trade deal does speak to the character of a person. he questions her position on super pacs, keystone pipeline,
11:31 pm
gay marriage and the iraq war. here he is on npr. >> when people consider a candidate it is important to understand the history, how they responded in crisis situations, how they responded when the decisions that they made were not necessarily the popular decision. i remember like it was yesterday the war in iraq. i remember almost every editorial page in america saying we should go to war. i voted against it. hillary clinton voted the other way. >> the clinton campaign released a statement saying it is disappointing senator sanders and his campaign strategists have chosen to change directions and engage in the type of personal attacks that he previously said he wouldn't do. april back to you. it seems like he feels like he has made a mistake that he gave her a free ride. >> he feels he made a mistake but he will never let you know that.
11:32 pm
he will keep playing it. the campaign saying he talked about this before the debate. he is making -- can he be above the battle and in the battle? >> he has to fight strategically. he made a mistake trying to talk about her factual backing away from things or back pedaling because we have had presidents who pull back. we have this president who because of conditions right now with iraq cannot just take troops away. >> what conditions caused hillary clinton to change on tpp? >> she was running for president. >> that's the crazy thing. >> bernie sanders like on the gay marriage issue and democrats in general. the president said it was a moral issue and then he came around. >> now that hillary clinton has moved to the left on because of bernie sanders. he can say i'm here and doing well.
11:33 pm
>> i don't think it hurts her in a primary to change positions on those things. it can help her if the unions look at her and say we beat the hell out of her that can be good for her with union voters. >> i like the way he said that. >> they want you to vote the way they want you to vote. if you are willing to do that they don't care. >> what about this thing with bernie shifting? saying i made a mistake. i should have kept the e-mail on a skillet. >> i think he is trying to have it both ways. that debate moment was potent for him for the -- >> look at the numbers to the debate. i judge debates how the numbers look afterwards. i think he gave away a big part of the game. >> this isn't just a right wing hack job. this is an fbi. who controls the fbi? the obama administration. >> do you think -- you are in this now.
11:34 pm
do you think the president calls loretta lynch and says squeeze him or pull back? would the president risk having transmission of information for him to the attorney general about that case? >> justice is blind at the end of the day. >> taking it off the table was stupid for him because what happened after the debate was all the momentum he had going in is lost. >> explain why. >> hillary looked like she was a winner. >> looked like he wasn't trying to beat her. >> i think he was being honest and it was a slip that reflected a thought. i'm serious. he was being honest. i'm tired of it. >> not for amateurs. between the breaks tell me. what am i missing about carson? >> he is intelligent. the fact he is on a book tour and supposed to be run frg president.
11:35 pm
he says he is listening to the people. people seem to be loving him. thousands of people going to see him. i don't know. >> i don't get it. i'm supposed to be an expert and i don't get it. i'm lost in this one. >> i think he is the alter ego to donald trump. so i know lots of evangelicals don't like donald trump from a moral position. >> he has not quoted scripture yet. >> he is the rick santorum wrapped up into one. don't forget i will be in south carolina tomorrow night for the first in the south democratic forum here on msnbc. join me from 6:00 to 8:00 eastern time and then again with analysis with interviews with hillary clinton, bernie sanders and martin o'malley. the round table is sticking with us. up next the top reporters tell me something i don't know. that's a growing list of things these days. you're watching "hardball," place for politics.
11:36 pm
here at td ameritrade, they love innovating.
11:37 pm
11:38 pm
and apparently, they also love stickers. what's up with these things, victor? we decided to give ourselves stickers for each feature we release. we read about 10,000 suggestions a week to create features that as traders we'd want to use, like social signals, a tool that uses social media to help with research. 10,000 suggestions. who reads all those? he does. for all the confidence you need. td ameritrade. you got this.
11:39 pm
we're back with "hardball" round table. tell me something i don't know. >> it is about your friend ben carson. i talked to him this morning and he feels he is going to gain the black vote. he is going after the black vote with new ads and he is saying -- >> of course he feels -- >> he feels he will be the next
11:40 pm
black president after the first black president to the left and he is to the right. he says -- >> wouldn't it be more news if he said he doesn't feel he is the next president. >> he is going to be the second black president. and the next thing he says public service and this effort in the presidential process is a ministry. >> go on. >> you are so upset about ben carson. >> i'm concerned. your thoughts. >> ted cruz said speaker ryan is john boehner without a tan. he told politico sometimes bills will fail and that is okay. that is identical to what boehner said when he took speakership. they passed the transportation bill that john boehner wanted. >> another death of the government. >> he doesn't have a tan and conservatives seem to like him. >> he has a great agenda on
11:41 pm
poverty. >> tell me something i don't know. >> let me ask you, what was the black margin supporting republicans in 1956? to you know? >> i would say 28. >> 39%. then 32% in 1960 for richard nixon. 6% in 1964 opposed the civil rights act. donald trump is poised to be goldwater 2.0 but with hispanics and poised to alien ate a grooup for a whole generation with the way we had in 1964 with african-american voters. >> the african-american vote was 2-1 democrat. thank you. when we return president obama steps up his efforts to close the prison at guantanamo bay but it's a sticky situation from all sides, legal and safety wise. you are watching "hardball," place for politics.
11:42 pm
11:43 pm
i'm headed to south carolina tomorrow for msnbc's special coverage of the democratic forum hosted by my colleague rachel maddow. i will be back with full analysis with the three democratic candidates, hillary clinton, bernie sanders and martin o'malley. we'll be right back.
11:44 pm
11:45 pm
11:46 pm
welcome back to "hardball." the question of what to do with the 112 detainees that remained at the u.s. naval base at guantanamo bay continues to go unanswered. the house of representatives passed with a bipartisan vote a spending bill that restricts president obama from moving the detainees to the u.s. amid reports that the white house is considering closing the prison by executive order. >> i think guantanamo detainees should be in guantanamo. >> that is short and sweet. white house spokesman josh earnest says paul ryan is misguided and the u.s. can move the men to u.s. prisons without compromising national security. >> the suggestion that this cannot be done safely flies in the face of every piece of available evidence that exists. >> the view that speaker ryan is expressing is in contradiction to some of the brightest foreign
11:47 pm
policy thinkers in both parties. >> joining me now is u.s. congressman of south carolina. hisict sdr -- also with me chrissanders. congressman, thank you for coming on. i have looked at this and tried to figure out and argued it with people. is this about safety? do we not trust our prisons to hold these guys? is it about the problem of bringing people to the united states who can't be charged for a lot of reasons but are still dangerous? >> i think the issue is side stepping the issue. i think that is what the president is doing here because the issue is not the geography of indefinite detention. at the end of the day from the civil liberties standpoint, taxpayer's standpoint back in charleston i think that you not really looking at what is at
11:48 pm
play if you simply say let's move the prisoners without addressing indefinite detention. in so doing he ignores existing law, ignores the piece of legislation that passed the house and he is once again trying to act unilaterally in a way that is contrary to common sense and the law. >> forget the president and everybody. think about what we all agree should make common sense. the vice chairman advocates that an oped piece for shutting gitmo down and says for the few detainees who can't be tried but still need to be held bringing to the united states presents a more cost effective option. there is no reason to think a
11:49 pm
guantanamo detainee is anymore likely to escape than any other federal prison. we have people we are holding right now we can't try or convict or indict because of the evidence that was gathered. we know for sure that they are dangerous. what do you think we should do with those people? dangerous people we can't criminalize? >> we have a tradition of either taking them out back and shooting them if we have enough evidence or we let them go. this idea of holding somebody for ten or 15 years. >> what if the guy swears to your face that he hates the united states and the minute you let him out he is a committed terrorist you are saying the president of the united states should get that guy go? i think you're not really looking at what's at play if you simply say let's move the prisoners without address indefinite detention.
11:50 pm
i think the president's trying to deliver on a campaign promise about closing guantanamo bay but in so doing he ignores existing law, he ignores a piece of legislation that has just passed the house that the president has said he's going to sign that says you can't deal with this through december 31st and he's once again trying to act unilaterally in a way that's contrary to common sense and the law.
11:51 pm
>> and i want to get back to what we should do as citizens. down in some dungeon where they're never going to get out in a million years that's not the issue of security because there are such places. go on forever as far as we know. are we allowed to hold them? >> a lost these people have already been held for 14 years. the united states in our entire history has never held people without charge or trial for as long as 14 years. if you go back -- >> but how many times have which been involved in an ongoing struggle like we are right now? isis is still there. >> if after 14 years of holding men at guantanamo we can't even put together a criminal case or -- >> well, what do we do? >> look, if somebody -- our laws, anti-terrorism laws are very broad. if you as a prosecutor can't figure out how to bring a case against somebody -- >> let them go? >> for terrorism.
11:52 pm
>> let them go? just say it. let them go. >> what happens is they get transferred overseas to foreign countries that have accepted them, have resettled them, in many cases they're monitoring them. >> and the next time we hear their names they're in yemen somewhere attacking the government. >> well, in terms of what has happened during the obama administration that is true under -- some of the people that were released early on under the bush administration where they didn't know who was coming into guantanamo, they didn't know who was coming out. >> some of them came back to bite us. >> but under president obama where they've done the hard work of with each detainee coming up with a security -- >> do they get more rights by being transferred to the united states from guantanamo? could you get a good lawyer if you're put in some prison in colorado, could you get a good lawyer from the aclu that gives you more rights than you would have in guantanamo? isn't that the case? >> we think that at guantanamo detainees already have full constitutional rights -- >> but you don't have to argue the case as hard in the united states, do you? >> the supreme court has already said that these detainees are entitled to habeas protections.
11:53 pm
every single detainee down at guantanamo already has a habeas lawyer. the problem with bringing the detainees to the united states, though, is that then you have, as the congressman just said, then you have indefinite detention going on in the united states itself, you have judges that are then going to be making a decision about how long that's going to continue. >> so it does give the prisoner a greater chance to get out. >> which is why the detainees should be brought to the united states are detainees who would be -- >> i think we see the problem. it's a problem of safety being raised by the congressman. it's a problem of legality being raised by the aclu. i see why the president's stuck in this thing. congressman, do you think they should stay at guantanamo? >> till we have a plan. and again, the president could do things unilaterally with regard to military tribunal. he's not doing that. and the idea of saying our plan is simply to move them to guantanamo bay, continue to house them indefinitely at a place that frankly has civilian
11:54 pm
population close by, again, to me does not seem like a sensible plan particularly -- and i don't think they're going to put him in some brig somewhere. i don't think it's going to be a brig. it's going to be a supermax. but thank you, congressman. come back on the show again. and chris anders, aclu, which i greatly respect. when we return let me return to my bafflement at the appeal of dr. ben carson. this is "hardball," the place for politics.
11:55 pm
11:56 pm
you probably can't workout like an nfl player... but now you can eat like one. get our players' choice pizzas. the new sriracha meats, the bbq chicken and bacon, or the loaded works. just $12 each. better ingredients. better pizza. better football. at the new papa johns.com.
11:57 pm
tand that's what we're doings to chat xfinity.rself, we are challenging ourselves to improve every aspect of your experience. and this includes our commitment to being on time. every time. that's why if we're ever late for an appointment, we'll credit your account $20. it's our promise to you. we're doing everything we can to give you the best experience possible. because we should fit into your life. not the other way around.
11:58 pm
let me finish tonight with this. i am baffled by the appeal of dr. ben carson. there, i've said it. he advocates a tax policy based on the old testament, on tithing, as if 10% is some blessed counsel to us living in the 21st century. he argues that the egyptian pyramids weren't built as tombs for the pharaohs but rather as grain banks even though everyone in the world knows that king tut and the rest of them began building their pyramids from the time of their youths as way stations for deliverance after death. why else did they equip the sealed chambers with all the things they'd like to have in the afterlife? and why to put it bluntly is dr. carson right about this and every book on egyptology wrong? is this a case where a gifted amateur shows us his beginner's luck? give me a break. the experts are right, he's wrong and this is just another example of the wildness of
11:59 pm
listening to him. what does dr. carson know about the ancient egyptians and their funerary practices? in fact nothing. what does he know about u.s. tax policy and its complexity? in fact what he's read in the bible. when asked why an amateur like him could do a better job than the political professionals he points to the founding fathers calling them his fellow amateurs. fact check. practically all of the signers of the declaration of independence were committed deadly serious men of public affairs elected in their own states to serve on legislative bodies ail of which preceded the founding of the country. the country was founded by professionals, doctor. and what is this talk about the ark, noah's ark? what relevance does this account from the bible have to teach us today? dr. carson, answer us. it teaches us that amateurs build boats better than professionals he says. how else he asked do we explain the sinking of the titanic? well, you got me there, doctor. and that's "hardball" for now. thanks for being with us. "all in" with chris hayes starts right now.
12:00 am
tonight on "all in" -- >> as relates to dick cheney, he served my brother well as vice president. >> jeb bush is pressed on his brother's legacy after his father blasts dick cheney and donald rumsfeld. >> i think my dad like a lot of people that love george want to try to create a different narrative perhaps. then marco rubio under the microscope. >> for years i've heard about marco and his credit cards. >> as fellow republicans dig into his past. >> i've recognized in hindsight i would do it different to avoid all this confusion. plus, senator elizabeth warren joins me and shares what troubles her about marco rubio. and i'll speak with a former police officer about what quentin tarantino said on this show last night. >> we want justice. stop shooting unarmed people. but they don't want to deal with that. >> when "all in" starts right now. good evening from new york. i'm chris hayes.

90 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on